Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Exadata: It really works!


For the past three months, I and a small group of people in the creative department at Oracle have been working in secret on the HP Oracle Database Machine that Larry just announced in his OpenWorld keynote. Our group has been writing scripts for demos and videos, designing branding elements, shooting photos, and art-directing Web and print pieces. But we had no access to any REAL information about how the product was doing in real-world tests.  


Then at an Oracle Magazine lunch on Tuesday I sat next to a beta participant for the Oracle Exadata Database Machine.  Once we had established that I was on the inside of the project, he shared a story that made me look forward to the announcement even more.


Without ever mentioning the product by name, the beta participant told me that the first time he used Exadata, he and his team thought they had made a mistake.  The query came back too fast. They spent two hours on the line with Oracle trying to fix the problem. But there was no problem; Exadata was simply faster than anything they had experienced before.


I look forward to watching the the development of this technology in the real-world.  And I’m glad the months of silence and code speak are behind us.


1 comment:

SeanLindoNU said...

Hey Jeff - this is Sean, the Community Manager at Box.net. Considering your background at Oracle and your blog on tech trends, I'd like to get in touch with you to talk about what we're doing around cloud-based information storage and collaboration. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail: Sean at Box.net.