Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Enterprise Manager 11g: The Business Value of UI

I spent a day last week interviewing Oracle Enterprise Manager customers who were on the Oracle campus to beta test Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g. The interviews are for a feature story in the Sept/Oct issue of Oracle Magazine. Almost like a cop with suspects, I brought them individually into my interview room and asked them the same questions to see if their story held together. For the most part, it did.

These were all accomplished DBAs and architects, so I found it interesting that all but one started by discussing the new, highly improved Web-based user interface. When I asked why they cared, they told me that it has to do with bringing new DBAs up to speed in dozens of locations around the world, and having all those distant DBAs speaking the same EM language. It’s much easier, they said, when they are all sharing a simpler user experience. I’ll post screens when I get clearance. Which brings me to another point.

In future posts I will go over more of the features they seemed excited about, but as an Oracle employee I need to be careful when talking about features that may or may not make it into the release I’m discussing.

As feature lists firm up and the magazine story develops, I promise to discuss more than just the spiffy new user interface, which I’m pretty sure will make it in.

No comments: